Try not to put off cervical screening. It’s one of the best ways to protect yourself from cervical cancer. For more information on your Cervical Screening, please see our Cervical Screening leaflet.
- Women aged 25-64yrs
- Invited every 3 years age 25-49 and every 5 years age 50-64
- Cytology with HPV triage
Telephone: 0203 682 0890
- Result unclear: women are asked to repeat the test
- Results show mild cell changes: In England the sample is checked for HPV. If it is HPV positive, women will be invited for a colposcopy. If it is HPV negative, the woman will be returned to routine screening.
- Results show moderate to severe changes: women will be invited for a colposcopy.
The Benefits of cervical screening
- Saves at least 2,000 lives each year in the UK.
- Benefit of screening on cervical cancer risk increases with age.
- The cervical screening programme started in the late 1980s and since the early 1990s cervical cancer incidence rates have decreased by almost a quarter in the UK.