The 15-minute observation period following a vaccination with Pfizer or Moderna will be temporarily suspended as part of new measures to speed up the booster rollout as part of our emergency response to the rapid spread of the Omicron variant.
Those who have a history of allergies, particularly to other vaccines, or have had an immediate reaction after a previous dose may be advised to stay for the 15 minutes. People are advised to tell the vaccine centre if that is the case and to tell them if they have previously fainted following vaccination.
Instead of waiting for 15 minutes after their vaccine, anyone coming forward for the jab is now asked to adhere to the following guidance:
- Avoid leaving the centre if you feel unwell
- Let the centre know if you have a history of allergies
- Do not drive for 15 minutes after receiving the vaccine
- If you are vaccinated at home, you may need to arrange to have someone with you
- Make sure the person you are with has a ‘phone available
- If you get tingling or throat tightness, get person you are with to dial 999 or call for help if you are near the vaccine centre